Friday, June 01, 2007

I am NOT Smarter than An Eighth Grader Named Evan


Core: It's not nice to make fun of one's mother!

I am writing from my mom's home. We watched "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" tonight. At one point, I made fun (ever so slightly) of my mother's missing what I thought was an obvious answer. Well, then we watched the end of the national spelling bee.

The winner was a home-schooled 8th grader named Evan. Here are the last seven words he spelled: rascacio, schuhplattler, laquear, Zoilus, pappardelle, yosenabe, and serrefine. Wow! Even my computer's spell check couldn't find the right spellings! As we watched this kid spell words that still don't sound like words to me, and trying to make amends for laughing at my mother earlier, I turned to her and said, "Ma, I AM NOT smarter than that eight grader!"

No comments: