Thursday, July 02, 2009

You Gotta Have Friends -- Really Great Friends!

Me in 1975 on choir tour with the youth choir from FBC, North Augusta!
Yep, that's me in the front with the shorts that would not be allowed on a
World Changers mission trip!

This past Tuesday, as I was driving home from a nursing home visit, I made some phone calls to some long time friends...actually, three different couples who I have known between 28 to 30 years each. These are among my great "core" friendships that are so deep and abiding and comfortable that I can't imagine life without them. I hope everyone has at least somebody like that in your life. Anyway, the amazing thing to me was that two of the three friends couldn't talk because they were hosting Bible studies in their homes when I called...one would have been okay, but then to have two at the same time! Pretty cool.

My third friend wasn't in a Bible study, but he, his wife (who is the picture above!) and daughter are leaving tomorrow to go to Guatemala on a mission trip. So my thought was, "Man, I've got great friends!" And that is true of my really "core" friendships...the main thing we have in common is Jesus Christ, and that's not a bad foundation for a lasting, important, substantial, encouraging, loving friendship. I hope you all have those kinds of friendships, and that you're teaching your kids to have those kinds of friendships too! You know...the long term, gonna-love-you-no-matter-how-weird-you-are, encouraging-you-in-your-relationship-with-Christ kind of friendships! And to all my friends who fall into this category: THANK YOU!!!!!! Hmmm...Ecclesiastes 4:9,10 must be true:

"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!"

No comments: