Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Questions of Conscience

Read an interesting article today by Dr. David Gushee on "Our Missing Moral Compass" and he shared an interesting, and convicting list of questions Catholics can ask themselves prior to going to confessions. Maybe these are questions we need to ask ourselves before we go to our High Priest in prayer. If we're not going to be honest with our Father, why bother praying?

The excerpt from the article: It's Friday night at the bookstore, and I'm leafing through a book of Catholic prayers. Here I find the "examination of conscience" questions to ask oneself prior to going to confession. These questions include the following:

Have I neglected my home or my family duties?
Have I been lazy, neglectful, or easily distracted during prayers?
Have I used God's name irreverently or taken false or needless oaths?
Have I missed church through my own fault?
Have I worked unnecessarily on Sundays?
Have I disobeyed, angered, or been disrespectful toward my parents or those in authority over me?
Have I quarreled with or willfully hurt anyone?
Have I caused another to sin?
Have I been sinfully angry? Greedy? Proud? Jealous?
Have I neglected to care for the poor and the needy?

And so on. It is a rich moral inventory.


Tough questions, but here's the good news: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

No comments: