Friday, February 16, 2007

What To Get a 50 Year-Old Kid?

Core thought: Nothing deep here, just a birthday gift idea! (Not really) Well, I only have a week left before AARP will really turn up the heat! I spoke at a local school yesterday at their assembly. True to form, I took some toys...how else can you keep the attention of a couple a hundred kids, from 1st grade through 12th grade??? I told them I was doing a "human blog," and used several items to illustrate various truths. I began by saying that it would be my last talk with them as I was about to turn 50, and could no longer buy toys, even for teaching purposes, because it was just too weird for someone "that" old to buy toys. I immediately recanted, however, as I couldn't allow a simple birthday milestone to keep me from teaching young people! You can help me begin my 50th year by getting me a simple Lego set. I have long been a fan of Lego bricks (by the way, the company discourages using the word LEGO as a noun!), and when I saw this set, I thought, "Hmmm, that would be an interesting addition to my collection." I know, I know...it's time to put away childish things. For a couple of reasons, I don't think Lego, Inc., is aiming this at kids...wait, I'm getting ahead of myself...

Here it is...to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Star Wars...The Ultimate Collector's Edition of the Millenium Falcon from the first three Star Wars. I say that it's probably not aimed at kids in that it only has over 5,000 pieces (what kid could cope with that?), and then there's the price....it's only $499.00! I'm sure I could get one huge kid's sermon out of this kit, though it would probably take me till I retire to put it together! Since I'm so hard to buy for, I thought you'd like a suggestion!!

If you want to wait till Christmas, I'll understand. Details can be found at: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10179&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

No comments: