Saturday, January 12, 2008

Don't Let Circumstances Get the Best of You

When I saw this...(Oh, you have to click on it to see "the point.")


I had some rambling thoughts. Typical isn't it? Anyway, these goats remind me of how we can over-react to unexpected circumstances. Aren't some people just like these goats? I confess that I am sometimes. I thought about how amazed I am at how often we allow our circumstances to have so much control over us.

I'm still (at a half a century) trying to learn to "respond" to circumstances, vs. "react" to them. Learning to respond more effectively to life events takes time, discipline, study, meditation, maturity etc. "Reacting" to life doesn't take so much time to learn and has more to do with the hypothalamic - pituitary - adrenal axis located deep within your brain. You can find more about this at wikipedia if you want, but it won't do you much good. Most of us don't really know how to manipulate our HPA axis for our own good.

Instead we probably need to spend more time learning how to respond more effectively in 2008. Sure, it takes more work up front than depending on brain hormones, but in the long run, you'll be better off.


Who knows, you may even experience more joy in your journey as James did when he wrote in the first chapter of his epistle: Consider it pure joy, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything (1:2-4).

It does help me to know that if I'm willing, God can teach me some very powerful lessons, if I don't just roll over and give up like a fainting goat. Trust me, I'm not there yet , but I'm wanting to be! For more insight into learning how to respond to life, check out Choosing to Learn from Life: The Life Shapes Circle by Mike Breen.
(http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=442966&event=CF#curr)

No comments: