Friday, March 07, 2008

Catching Up

It's been a while since I've posted. I can chalk some of that up to my post fifty-first birthday depression. Kidding, of course. Just been busy. Here's a partial recap:
  • Turned 51...oh, you already knew that.
  • Officiated at two funerals. One was for a very sweet 96 year old lady named Laura whose passing was very gracious. She has been sick for several months, and in a consideralbe amount of pain these past few weeks. Her great niece went to see her on her niece's birthday. She said, "today is my birthday, but if you see Jesus and want to go on home, it's okay." Laura passed quietly within a minute. The family experienced two birthdays that day.
  • The other funeral was for a man named Otis who gave 58 years of service to the city fire department. About a quarter of the sanctuary was taken up with firefighters from our department and others from two counties. I've never officiated at a service with additional honors from the firefighters. (see picture) It was quite impressive.
  • I was honored to speak to college students at Clemson's First Baptist Church. I spoke on the gospel according to Ratatouille (Don't laugh, The Christian Film & Television Commission rated it as the number one film for families in '07). Had a great time!
  • Got to eat at the new P.F. Chang's in Augusta with my mom and cousin, Rita, who was visiting. Chang's is one of my favorite restaurants, though I have had to swear off the "Great Wall of Chocolate" cake with its 2240 calories....which reminds me.
  • I lost 10 pounds in a month and my total cholesterol went from 194 to 171! Pretty shocking....just a baby step!
  • Well, that's some of the news. Thanks for your patience. I'll be back soon...hopefully over the weekend!

No comments: