Saturday, January 01, 2011

Thought for the First Day of 2011

Psalm 63:1: O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.This is part of the passage I'm preaching on tomorrow as we prepare for the Lord's Supper. Some think that David may have been in the midst of his son, Absalom's rebellion. It was a dark time in his life, and David was honest as he cried out to his God.

It reminds me that when life is tough (as it has been for so many people in 2010 (i.e. Haiti, Pakistan, the Gulf Oil Spill, etc.)), we should do what David did. Seek God. Then again, I pray that in 2011 I'll pray this prayer (and mean it!) on good days as well as difficult days. I trust that you will, too.

I took these pictures yesterday at the Edisto River while visiting church members at the Oaks retirement center in Orangeburg. Why the close-up of the screw? It reminds me to make sure that whatever (or Whoever!) is holding my life together is not being neglected...I don't want to fall apart of the first crisis I encounter!

No comments: