Monday, February 21, 2011

Detours Can Be Beautiful, Too

This past week I was hurrying (not the same as speeding!) to our Wednesday evening prayer meeting, when traffic backed-up about five miles from town. Being a fair distance away from the top of the hill, I couldn't see what was going on, but knew it was probably an accident. I had to go home a longer, less convenient way, BUT this is what I saw on the detour. (And, yes, I did pull over to take these!) Yes, I would have seen the same sunset, but my regular route did not have the wide-open space needed to get these shots.





The lesson? Don't be in such a hurry, and even when you are, be open to unexpected gifts of grace and beauty. I wonder how much beauty in life I miss because I'm irritated because something (or someone) forced me out of my rut and routine?

"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.'” James 4:13-15

So slow down and enjoy the view (and thank the One Who provides it!).

No comments: