Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I’m Back!

Core Thought: Excuses! Excuses!

Sorry I’ve been gone so long…took a week of vacation staying at a church member’s lake house on Lake Keowee near my alma mater, Clemson. I went without the internet for almost a whole week…imagine that! It was a good change though…just relaxing…which I’m not good at. So what did I experience that was “blog-worthy?” Let’s see…

I did manage to squeeze in a little bit of bargain hunting…once again using the kids in my church as an excuse, I bought a RC Helicopter on clearance at Wally-Mart. (If you want to see it fly, go to: http://www.interactivetoy.com/br2video.htm and be patient as it takes a little bit of time to download the video.

Anyway…as usual, the packaging did not reveal EVERYTHING I needed to know about the helicopter. You know, things like: average flight time is 7 minutes (in perfect conditions!) and then you require a 45 minute charge. On the bright side, that might teach me patience!) Oh, and then the little fact that you cannot hover as the helicopter was designed to…”always fly forward.”

The instructions also said to fly it in a room “without obstacles.” How many of you have a room “without obstacles?” My whole house is an obstacle! Once again I was reminded that the world promises us a lot, and often hides its own inability to bring us any kind of lasting contentment!

Jesus knew this long before the advent of toy RC helicopters! He reminded His disciples in Matthew 6:19, 20: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”

Remember, whatever label the world slaps on something, it’s probably not telling you the complete story!

No comments: