Monday, February 18, 2008

It's Just Not Fair

As I was exercising on my stationary bike the other night, I was struck by how unfair our metabolism can be. My oh-so-smart bike tells me how many calories I'm burning at whatever setting I have it on, and on this occasion I was burning 480 an hour. Well, earlier this week I was checking out the website of one of my favorite restaurants which will be opening in a few days in my hometown. I was surprised that the website had the calorie count for all their menu items including their desserts.

My favorite is the "Great Wall of Chocolate" (Yes, it's a Chinese restaurant), which is a huge piece of chocolate cake that three people can easily share. The calorie count? Just 2240, with 89 grams of fat, and 376 grams of carbs. OUCH! Now I could (but to date I haven't!)eat the whole thing in 10 minutes (or less), but then it would take over five hours on the bike to burn that many calories! I guess God build our metabolism that way so we could learn discipline.

No comments: