Saturday, September 05, 2009

Still Impressed and Thankful for Dabo Swinney

Well, Clemson's first game of the season is tonight, and I hope they win BIG. Then I hope they win big all season long, and not primarily because I'm a Clemson grad, but because I want Dabo Swinney to remain head coach at Clemson for a long, long time. One of the major highlights of the year was to meet him back in February when he so graciously agreed to meet with me so I could record a short retirement tribute for a friend and fellow minister.

I was SO impressed with him, and with his faith, and his love for his team. I got to pray with him concerning the "ministry" he has been given in impacting his team, his community and his fans for the glory of Christ. Talking with him, you get the idea that his faith is not some separate, "private" part of his life, but something integrated into his life in a seamless way (the way Christ wants, by the way...you know, loving God "with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."(Matt. 22:37)

Here is a sample of Dabo's view of his "platform" that goes far beyond merely winning football games:



So I'm hoping for a great start tonight at Clemson's season opener. Whether or not we have a winning season (though I'm counting on it), I know God is going to use Dabo and wife, Kathleen, to do some amazing things in the years ahead, and I thank God I got to meet him. Go TIGERS!

No comments: