Monday, December 06, 2010

Advent Conspiracy Plug

Last night some folks in Bamberg County witnessed a Christmas miracle! I spoke at the annual Christmas tree lighting at the courthouse. It was 40 degrees (the wind chill made it feel like 20 below!), and I was met with well-wishers encouraging me to "keep it short preacher!" I don't blame them...it was cold. I had asked my church family to pray for me as I had been informed earlier that I needed to keep the "message" between 5 and 10 minutes. Last night that range changed from 5 to 10 minutes to 5 to 8 minutes per the requests of my welcoming committee.

Well, I preached for 8 minutes! Yes, someone timed it! I did manage, however, to get in plugs for:

The Bishop's Wife, on of my favorite Christmas movies (the black and white version): I referenced the final sermon given by the bishop, a sermon (it only lasts about a minute) written by an angel, played by Cary Grant. Go to the 6:30 mark for the sermon if you're in a hurry. It will be worth it if you haven't seen it!




I also took the speaking opportunity to plug the Advent Conspiracy (go to: http://www.adventconspiracy.org/ for more info). Here is their first video promo from several years ago followed by a more recent (2009) version:








Finally, here are three of the founding pastors giving an introduction to the Advent Conspiracy.





If you haven't already, think about joining the conspiracy!! You may just find Christmas more wonderful than you ever imagined!

No comments: