Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memorial Day Should Not Be Mall Day!


Timothy Dexter (eccentric but successful businessman of the 1700's) once said, "An ungrateful man is like a hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from." This week I have felt like our media is being like that hog in its treatment of Memorial Day. Last night I was visiting someone in the Bamberg Hospital and saw a hand-drawn reminder on a small white board in the hall remind people to remember our war dead on Memorial Day. Oh, I have seen the holiday referred to many, many times this week on the television, but always in conjunction with a sale, or what you need for a picnic at the beach. Not once (of course, I have two days left before Monday) have I seen a reference to what this holiday is supposed to be about. So I'm doing my part to remind whoever stumbles on this blog before midnight Monday, that the only reason you are given the great privilege of being a freedom endowed American is that people (the vast majority whom you never knew) willingly gave their lives fighting to obtain and maintain our freedom. I took this picture last year in Marietta, GA, of the military cemetery there. Just a reminder that freedom is never free! Also, if you want to know more about the REAL vs. the RETAIL VERSION of Memorial Day, go here: http://www.usmemorialday.org/

No comments: