Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Never Ask a 104 Year Old Her Opinion Unless You're Prepared to Hear the Truth!

Last Wednesday on the 11th of March, I had the great pleasure of visiting our oldest church member...Miss Adeline. She was 104...that's right...almost exactly twice as old as I turned just two weeks before! I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have that many more opportunities to talk with someone twice my age. Miss Adeline has always been honest with me, and I know that the follow comments were truly an example of "speaking the truth in love!"

Anyway, she took several minutes to let me know that she wanted nothing but the best health for me. She pointed at my stomach, and then pointed upward toward my head and set, "From here up to there is okay, but that belly has to go!" I responded with a very courteous, "Yes ma'am." She then spent the next several minutes driving home the point that I "had a pretty face, but, oh, that belly!" Her "rebuke" reminds me of Proverbs 27:6: Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

You have to admit, for a 104 year old, she had a pretty good grip on reality, because I have to agree with her, "My belly needs to go!" NOTE: This picture of me is from my time in a jacuzzi on vacation in Hilton Head in '07, and my bulk is just a bunch of HOT AIR...uh, I mean bubbling air!

No comments: