Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sad Saturday - Maybe...Maybe Not

My church is probably sick of my quoting Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

I wonder if Christ's followers were thinking on the good stuff that Sabbath between Christ's death and His resurrection, scheduled for the next day. Well, they didn't know that, did they. Wait, didn't Christ try to tell them? Maybe they, like us, tend to think in terms of "our" schedule, not God's. One of the many reasons I don't cook (you can't tell my looking at me can you?) is that I can't stand baking anything for any length of time greater than 3.5 minutes (most Campbell's soups fall in this range). 20 minutes for a pizza? Forget it. I thank our Father that He's more patient than I am.

God knew what He was preparing that sad, sad Saturday when the disciples had to be in a bad way...the loss of their Master, their hopes, their dreams. They didn't know it, but some of their dreams needed to be lost! They were dealing with "their" reality (a limited view at best), while God's reality was about to be revealed that would change everything. I bet the Father was excited about the gift He was about to reveal the next morning. It's amazing He could wait.

So for everyone struggling with loss, or frustration, or fear. Don't forget that your view of "the way things really are"is limited, so I hope as you anticipate the joy of tomorrow morning, that you'll remember to trust the One's whose view of reality IS reality! If you trusted Him once to save you forever, then trust Him with whatever you're struggling with, afraid of, etc. How do you do that...well, a step is to start thinking about all that noble, pure, praiseworthy, lovely, excellent stuff Paul was writing to the Philippians about!

PS...do you remember what Peter Pan told the kids was necessary to fly?

No comments: