Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Birthday

Well, Disney made good on its promise to let me in free on my birthday. It was a great day...perfect weather, great friends (Jeff and Miriam Payne) willing to take time (and money) to accompany me on my special day....though I readily admit that fifty-two years ago it was my mom, not me, who had to do the really difficult work getting me into the world. By the way...my mom was in church on the morning of the day I was born...just under five hours after the service!

Anyway, it was a record breaking day in the number of "Happy Birthdays" I got...I'm sure Disney employees are threatened with termination if they are anything less than "happy," and they were pretty consistent in wishing me a happy birthday (since I "had" to wear a big button designating me as a happy birthday person), as were many strangers.

That was special, but not as special....not anywhere close to as special as having a continuing series of text messages and voice mails and emails throughout the day wishing me a Happy Birthday. Thank you all...sorry I couldn't call back, but we were continually rushing from attraction to attraction so I could maximize my time at Disney.

My mom called about a second before the rocket ignited on the Mission Space ride, which puts people in a centrifuge so you can feel the effects of being launched into space...it was pretty intense. A lady in the line warned me that I'd be okay as long as I kept my eyes on the screen in front of me and didn't close my eyes or look to the side...and there were air sickness bags on the dash board...fortunately, no one in my "crew" had to use them...so I had to call my mom back since I was the navigator and the lives of my crew depended on my pushing my buttons at the right time!

All in all, it was a great day, and I am thankful for the life God has allowed me to have...mainly because of the people He's given me as family and friends. As Jeff and Miriam put it...God gives us certain people who fall into the category of "foundational friends," who have lasting, continual, vital impact on us, and I thank God for everyone of you who fall into that category!

I agree with the author of Hebrews: And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (10:24,25)





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great day! Maybe next year you can make it a birthday Disney week! You better start saving now! ~ cj