Friday, February 13, 2009

A Painful Thermometer

Baker, California, is a tiny town in the middle of the desert on I-15 from Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Other than being one of the few oasises on one's desert trek to or from Vegas, it also boasts what the locals call the world largest thermometer. It's function is obvious...to measure the surrounding temperature. But what about your spiritual temperature?

I was listening to a message by Matt Chandler from the Village Church in Highland Village, Texas, when he made a simple, but great point.
He said that one of the best spiritual thermometers is made up of two indicators: how you spend your money and how you treat other people. He said the biblical support was basically any teaching about money, and I John for how you treat people. So we should ask ourselves with regards to our money and stuff, "how would Jesus want me to spend my money?" and with regards to EVERYONE we meet, "how would Jesus want me to treat this person?"

Hmmm....I wonder if when our works are tested in heaven (I Cor. 3:10-15) God will pull out a lifetime's worth of bank statements, and will then interview everyone we've ever interacted with? Hopefully, your spiritual thermometer is already reading boiling hot when it comes to how you handle your money and how you treat everyone you meet...then you won't have to worry about being embarrassed on your first day in heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that how we spend our money and how we treat other people may be good indicators of our spiritual temperature, (although I guess non-spiritual people can also be nice and give generously), but aren’t we really just saying that if you are spiritually healthy you will be exhibiting the collective fruits of the Spirit, two of which are goodness and kindness. Personally, my spiritual temperature gauge is not, “Have I given enough this month,” but rather, “How hungry am I after Him?” I believe a passionate pursuit of His presence as described in Psalm 63 will lead us into daily encounters with Jesus that will reveal opportunities to give in ways that will change lives. Thank you for prompting us to ponder these issues.